Sunday, October 1, 2017

I Waited for the Words








I waited for the words I had in me,
all winter lurking in the cave of my doubts.
Those doubts, like the rotting leaves from last years’ trees.
Taking root in the rich rot that I forgot, 
these words grew stronger in the dark.
They unfolded shoots and began a journey toward the sun.
I still waited.

A cloud crossed the sun.
I shed tears I thought were rain.
I waited for words that still swelled underground,
fearful they’d wash away,
because I heeded the critics' cruel intentions.

Somehow, I clung to the earth for solace.
I drew courage from the sky, 
and sent up thankful tendrils of thought.
Rising in trust, I opened one leaf.
It became paper in the open light of summer
and light became a pen.


Copyright 2017 by Claire Germain Nail

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to comment. Comments will appear after moderator review.

Featured Post

Why Write? I write for you who have ceased to love, you whose possessions steal your full attention. I want to tell you what...